Chances missed against Worthing

Updated: Aug 17, 2018

Two minutes of madness against Worthing ultimately saw us fall to a first defeat of the season, writes James Barrett-Sterling.

On the attack: goalscorer Ricky Korboa during the second-half

Team news

Jacob Mendy, for the injured Bobby Price, and Mike Dixon came in for their full debuts, while Peter Adeniyi came into midfield for his first start of the season.


Our visitors had a glorious chance to score in the first minute as a Paris Hamilton-Downes clearance hit Mendy and the loose ball fell into the path of Starrey. The winger found the run of Ajiboye whom was clean through but, thankfully, he skewed his shot way off target from 12 yards.

Both sides were trying to get on the front foot early doors, but it was Worthing with the next chance - an angled drive by Ajiboye from 20 yards smashed into the near side-netting.

Players from both sides were guilty of mis-placing passes but each team wanted to play on the deck and it made for a frenetic opening period.

Adeniyi took the brunt of a high challenge by Barker on 10 minutes which earned the midfielder a yellow card.

But we started to ask more questions of the Worthing defence and we made that pressure tell on 20 minutes.

Mendy dinked a perfect through ball into the path of Ricky Korboa whom wasn't offside and, as he checked back inside a recovering defender just inside the area, he bent a firm shot beyond Cavagnari for his first goal of the season.

Our tails up, we almost doubled that lead two minutes later - James Richmond knocked a Tommy Bradford free kick back into the six yard box but Kalvin Morath-Gibbs was millimetres away from heading the ball in at the back post.

An even better chance arrived on the half-hour as we broke from a Worthing attack and Adeniyi put Mike Dixon clear over the halfway line. He bore down on goal as Cavagnari came to the edge of his box but, sadly, our man seemed to be caught in two minds and could only flick a shot against the keeper's legs.

We were made to nearly pay for those missed chances on 42 minutes as Kealy, inside our area, spun on a pass into his feet and smashed a volley against the crossbar with Billy Bishop sprawling.

HALF-TIME: 1 - 0

Ola Sogbanmu, Saturday's match winner at Lewes, came on for Dixon as the second-half began, but Worthing again almost scored right away as Starrey saw a 20 yard curler go just wide of Bishop's far post.

The game was scrappier with more mis-placed passes and niggly fouls during the first 15 minutes, with Aziaya booked for a slightly late challenge among it all.

Worthing thought they'd equalised on the hour after they'd won a corner. The delivery was met firmly by the head of Racine from six yards, but Bishop spectacularly clawed the ball away and the rebound was scooped up over the bar.

We sent on Jerson dos Santos for Raheem Sterling-Parker not long after and the substitute did well to knock a deep Mendy cross back for Sogbanmu on 66 minutes, but his shot was blocked inside the area.

Then, all of a sudden, we were pegged back - Worthing cleared their lines as we probed along the 18 yard box and Ajiboye set off from the halfway line. He went past a couple of half-hearted challenges en route to the edge of our area before tucking the ball away past Bishop.

We failed to retain possession from the restart and the ball went out to Kealy who had acres of space down the left. He eventually squared a low ball between the penalty spot and six yard line for Ajiboye, whose run wasn't picked up, to slide on and ram in.

The Carshalton faithful were shocked into silence but the players composed themselves and the Worthing goal lived a charmed life during the last 10 minutes.

Bradford found an overlapping Aziaya on 84 minutes but dos Santos couldn't guide his header on the cross on target from 10 yards.

Then dos Santos turned provider as he shifted a bouncing ball into the path of Bradford but our man's half volley went straight at Cavagnari. 

A big chance arrived in the first minute of added time - we managed to squeeze a low ball across the Worthng area and Aziaya, who hasn't scored since joining last October, came onto it. His low first-time effort left Cavagnari rooted but the ball pinged off the base of the upright and rolled out for a goal kick.

Then Korboa and dos Santos combined and the latter's cross was half cleared to Adeniyi who managed to bustle his way back into the box. The ball finally broke to dos Santos but he thrashed an effort just over the top far corner.

And the drama didn't end there - a minute later dos Santos made a burst into the Worthing area and was being manhandled by his marker. The linesman flagged for an infringement but the referee played an advantage that wasn't there as our visitors cleared their lines.

There was still time for another attack as we won a free kick deep on the left-hand side. Mendy played the ball into a crowd of players and Richmond rose highest - his header was going to dip under the crossbar but Cavagnari lent back and spectacularly tipped the ball just over.

Next up

We host Kingstonian on Saturday 18th August before Horsham arrive on Saturday 25th August for an FA Cup tie (both 3pm kick-offs).

Carshalton Athletic: Bishop; Morath-Gibbs, Richmond, Hamilton-Downes (c) (Dudley - 75), Mendy; Adeniyi, Aziaya, Bradford; Sterling-Parker (dos Santos - 60), Dixon (Sogbanmu - 46), Korboa

Unused subs: Oshilaja, Phillips

Goal: Korboa (20)

Assist: Mendy

Booked: Aziaya

Worthing: Cavagnari, Young, Crane, Barker, Rents, Racine, Ajiboye, Parsons, Kealy, Aguair (Budd - 61), Starrey (Clarke - 80)

Unused subs: Colbran, Pattenden, Rance

Goals: Ajiboye (70 and 71)

Booked: Barker

Our 'Man of the Match': Ricky Korboa

Attendance: 314