Defeat suffered in North London

We fell to a second league defeat in a row as clinical Haringey went top of the league, writes James Barrett-Sterling.

Haringey Borough 3 - 1 Carshalton Athletic

Bostik Premier League

Monday 17th December 2018

Attendance: 365

Last five results: DWLWL

Our 'Man of the Match': Courtney Swaby

A competitive game at Coles Park but Carshalton didn't take their chances (image: James Barrett-Sterling).

Team news

There was a return for striker Omar Koroma whom had been missing with injury for three weeks. Jordan Cheadle also came back in, while there was a first league start of the season for young midfielder Courtney Swaby. Youngsters Joe Jarrett and Noe Vendrells were named among the substitutes.


Carshalton started well in this match and, as early as the second minute, Swaby was delivering a decent cross in front of goalkeeper Valery Pajetat that was just begging to be attacked by a teammate.

Then, in the ninth minute, the first big chance of the game - Michael Aziaya found Swaby out wide and, as Ola Sogbanmu ran from deep, the youngster delivered a peach of a cross. Sogabnmu wasn't tracked and he met it with a firm header but Pajetat got down to palm the ball off the line and a recovering defender cleared the danger.

The Robins were looking very assured in possession as Haringey weren't seemingly desperate to play a high-intensity pressing game, so it was disappointing that final passes at key moments were causing our own downfall.

Another big chance came our way on 23 minutes - Koroma got beyond the home defence on a lofted pass by Peter Adeniyi. The flag stayed down but the striker slightly hesitated before brushing the ball forward with his head when, in fact, he could've taken it down and had a one-on-one situation with Pajetat.

Haringey then started to become more of an attacking threat and typically, half an hor into the match, they took their first real opportunity. Some neat passing down the right eventually saw Charley Barker prod the ball into the feet of Ralston Gabriel whom turned and struck a low shot beyond Ohman and inside the far corner.

It was tough to take but things got doubly worse just four minutes later - Michael O'Donogue had time to put over a cross from the left and an unmarked Ralston met it first-time to guide home his second.

And, before Carshalton could take stock, more tragedy struck as Koroma went down with a knock and had to be substituted a mere 37 minutes into his comeback.

We did get back to dominating possession again but the only chance carved out before the break came on 44 minutes - Swaby released Sogbanmu into their box and he beat his man, but his pullback was just hacked away in front on the incoming Jarrett and the resultant corner kick was gratefully plucked out the air by Pajetat.

HALF-TIME: 2 - 0

Carshalton, much like the opening 45, controlled the tempo during the opening exchanges but the only chance they created saw Sogbanmu drive into the home box before teeing up Adeniyi, but his shot was blocked away.

But the home side weathered the pressure again and, on 59 minutes, Anthony McDonald forced Ohman into a smart save.

Then, a minute later, a clearance went off Gabriel but the referee incorrectly awarded Borough a corner. The delivery was met by Mark Kirby and his header went back across Ohman and Morath-Gibbs couldn't stop it from rolling into the net.

It was now a mountain to climb but the Robins responded quickly - an Adeniyi free kick was met by Sogbanmu but, from 12 yards, his header flew wide.

A long ball was thrashed into Carshalton's half on 66 minutes and Ohman had to race out of his area as Gabriel hunted it down. The striker pushed the ball past the keeper and just kept it in on the byline, but his attempt to thrash a shot in from the narrowest angle hit the side-netting.

The next goal went the Robins' way however - Pajetat dropped a Tommy Bradford corner and, among the bodies, Sogbanmu stretched and diverted the ball inside the near post.

Borough responded as Ohman got down to smother a 35 yard strike by Karl Akinwande, while Barker didn't retreat from a free kick awarded to Carshalton on 77 minutes. He tried to insist Adeniyi had touched the ball, Aziaya went to retrieve it back and Gabriel took exception. The referee eventually booked both players.

Carshalton came close again on 83 minutes - initially an Adeniyi free kick was almost met by Morath-Gibbs but the ball was cleared. Cheadle got onto it 30 yards out but Pajetat tipped over his shot at full stretch.

Tommy Bradford and Swaby tried to fashion something on the edge of the home side's area on 88 minutes, but the latter curled an effort just off target, while Borough hit the post in added time through Oliver Cleaver as the game's last action.

Next up

We head to Wingate and Finchley on Saturday 22nd December before travelling to Leatherhead on Wednesday 26th December.

Carshalton Athletic: Ohman; Morath-Gibbs, Dudley, Hamilton-Downes (c) (Vendrells - 76), Cheadle; Adeniyi, Aziaya, Sogbanmu; Bradford, Koroma (Jarrett - 37), Swaby

Unused subs: Price, Mendy, Dixon

Goal: Sogbanmu (70)

Booked: Aziaya

Haringey Borough: Pajetat, Olufemi, O'Donoghue, Richards, Kirby, Mitchell, Akinwande, Durojaiye, Gabriel (Sappleton - 80), Barker (Cleaver - 87), McDonald (Edwards - 80)

Unused subs: Andic, Byfield

Goals: Gabriel (29 and 33), Kirby (61)

Booked: O'Donoghue, Mitchell, Gabriel