Match report - AFC Hornchurch (a)

A strong finish to this game saw us leave Hornchurch with a point and it could've been more,writes James Barrett-Sterling.

The game was played in glorious sunshine throughout (picture: James Barrett-Sterling)

Team news It was the same starting line-up which began the victory over Leatherhead, with Bobby Price, Raheem Sterling-Parker and Tommy Bradford all named on the bench.

Kick-off The first 15 minutes of this one started slow as both teams cancelled each other out - our final ball or cross wasn't quite good enough, while a few niggly fouls littered the play.

The match livened up on 21 minutes as Leon McKenzie went up with Billy Bishop on a cross and the pair tussled for the ball.

Then we went on the attack and Mike Dixon eventually won us a corner. The delivery was contended by Danny Dudley, but the ball eventually went out to Jacob Mendy who took aim and fired wide from 20 yards.

We stood firm as our hosts won a couple of corners and tried to turn the screw, while Dixon was harshly adjudged to be offside as he burst onto a through ball on 33 minutes.

But Hornchurch then almost broke the deadlock through McKenzie after he turned in our box and thumped a shot off a post, then he hit a second attempt straight at Bishop.

The half seemed destined to end goalless until Goerge Purcell turned on the thrusters, beat one and then went down under the attention of Dudley.

The striker picked himself and just about squeezed the penalty past the dive of Bishop.

HALF-TIME: 1 - 0

We came out after the break in a more positive frame of mind it seemed - we were keeping the ball better, Dixon flashed a shot into Callum Chafer and Kalvin Morath-Gibbs headed a corner wide on 53 minutes.

A minute later and dos Santos displayed quick feet to work some space on the edge of their box, but his shot went straight at Chafer.

Bradford came on for Mendy just before the hour and Nathan Livings was booked for a late challenge on Paris Hamilton-Downes, but Dudley was alert to clear a Hornchurch cross into our box too.

Then we introduced Sterling-Parker but our next chance came as Jordan Cheadle picked out Korboa with a 60 yard pass and our top scorer cut inside from the right, but again the final shot found its way into the hands of Chafer.

A last throw of the dice as Peter Adeniyi came on for Michael Aziaya and all three subs were instrumental during the last 10 minutes.

Firstly, Korboa and Davidson-Phipps combined to find Bradford just inside the box and he turned to thump a powerful shot just over the bar.

We kept that impetus going and our equaliser came two minutes later - Bishop passed the ball into Adeniyi whom carried it towards halfway before playing an exquisite pass into a forward run by Sterling-Parker. Chafer came out to narrow the angle but our man dinked a lovely shot over the keeper, but the ball just curled away and hit the far post. Thankfully dos Santos had read the situation and was hand to turn the loose ball into the back of the net.

Cheadle stepped up to bend a free kick in on 85 minutes and Korboa got free to meet it in front of goal, but he guided the ball just wide.

And then dos Santos almost turned provider on 87 minutes as he crossed in from the right and Chafer got down to parry Sterling-Parker's flicked effort with a strong hand - it was the last decent chance of the match.

Next up

We are at home against Bognor Regis Town on Saturday 15th September (kick-off 3pm).

Carshalton Athletic: Bishop; Davidson-Phipps, Dudley, Morath-Gibbs, Cheadle; Korboa, Aziaya (Adeniyi - 73), Hamilton-Downes (c); dos Santos, Dixon (Sterling-Parker - 68), Mendy (Bradford - 57) Unused subs: Price, Phillips Goal: dos Santos (83) Assist: Sterling-Parker

AFC Hornchurch: Chafer, Bentley, Porter, Clark, Cooper, Warner (Hursit - 73), Saunders, Spence (Hogan - 77), McKenzie, Purcell (Fairweather-Johnson - 88), Livings Unused subs: Smith, Collins Goal: Purcell (41 p) Booked: Livings, Warner

Our 'Man of the Match': Jerson dos Santos Attendance: 211 Current league position: 10th (with 8 points)