Match report - Bishop's Stortford (a)

Updated: Sep 25, 2018

It was a bad day at the office as we lost at a rain-sodden ProKit UK stadium after some late controversy, writes James Barrett-Sterling.

Team news

Bobby Price was fit enough to start in defence, while on-loan pair Daniel Pappoe and Michael Onovwigun, plus Jacob Mendy, Ricky Korboa and Mike Dixon, came back in to the fold.


As the heavens remained open throughout, the home side started on the front foot and we were grateful to Billy Bishop in just the second minute - a long throw into our box fell to Johnville Renee who got a shot off, but our keeper got down to push it away.

The Blues were in again on 10 minutes as a ball dinked over the top got Alfie Mason away but his low shot cannoned away off the near post.

We struggled to get a grip on the game and boss Peter Adeniyi offered up a change in formation to try and get us going but, before it any real time to bed in, the home side won a golden chance to take the lead.

Ruel Sotiriou was played into our box and, as he checked onto his left foot, he was felled by the close attentions of Pappoe. The referee pointed to the spot and Jake Cass, Stortford's top scorer, stepped up - thankfully he thumped his shot against Bishop's left-hand post and we survived the resultant melee.

That spurred us into action and we went on to create our best chance of the half when, on 31 minutes, Paris Hamilton-Downes flicked on a Jordan Cheadle long throw. Onovwigun came onto the ball only to put his header from seven yards into the arms of Calum Kitscha.

The tall midfielder was at the end of our next good attack as he met a cross towards the back post, but this time he headed the ball over the bar.

And, after Stortford had dominated most of the half, Cheadle almost made them pay for not scoring as he came forward on the stroke of half-time, but his pot shot just flew off target.

HALF-TIME: 0 - 0

The home side began on the front foot again and Sotiriou was played in on goal just three minutes after the restart. The forward managed to flick a shot past the oncoming Bishop but Cheadle had read the situation and slid in to swipe the ball away from the empty net.

But there was an air of inevitability as Stortford broke the deadlock on 52 minutes, although it was disappointing to concede a rising shot from 18 yards by an unmarked Mason.

Going behind seemed to spark something within us however and we began shifting the ball neatly, pushing the Blues onto the back foot.

And we equalised with only our second effort on target on 55 minutes - Pappoe found Raheem Sterling-Parker and he put the overlapping Price in. Our full back fizzed a low cross in front of goal which Mike Dixon neatly swept home from close range.

Tommy Bradford was then introduced for Sterling-Parker and the substitute combined with Ricky Korboa on the hour, but his eventual shot from 18 yards was easily clutched by Kitscha.

Our tails were up but Bishop was called into action again as he tipped a 20 yard free kick by Cass over the bar.

And we frustratingly fell behind again on 67 minutes as another long range effort, this time by Ryan Charles, zipped in low off the wet surface.

Both sides made further subs - with Adeniyi and fellow player/manager Jamie Cureton both coming on - and Cheadle forced Kitscha into a fine save with a 25 yard free kick as we looked to level again.

Sub Jerson dos Santos had a glimpse of goal on 88 minutes, following a neat move involving Korboa, Onovwigun and Adeniyi, but he was also denied by Kitscha.

But our striker was involved in the game's most controversial incident in added time - a free kick into their box eventually found Adeniyi on the far side and he bent a cross towards the back post. Dos Santos knocked the ball into the back of the net, only for the celebrations to be halted by a very debatable offside flag.

It was tough to take but Stortford got the ball forward and won a free kick deep in our half. Instead of keeping the ball in the corner however, Renee took a short pass and whipped in a cross that Cureton nodded in from 10 yards to completely kill the game off.

See match highlights (with commentary) and post-match interviews via

Next up

We visit Merstham on Saturday 29th September before Margate arrive at Colston Avenue on Monday 1st October.

Carshalton Athletic: Bishop; Price, Dudley, Pappoe (Adeniyi - 75), Cheadle; Korboa, Onovwigun, Hamilton-Downes (c); Sterling-Parker (Bradford - 56), Dixon (dos Santos - 73), Mendy

Unused subs: Aziaya, Flavien-Howard

Goal: Dixon (55)

Assist: Price

Booked: Hamilton-Downes, Dudley

Bishop's Stortford: Kitscha, Wescott, Gregan, Thomas, Robbins (c), Nkosi, Charles, Renee, Cass, Sotiriou, Mason

Unused subs: Adeyemi, Brassington, Dark, Byrne-Hewitt, Cureton

Goals: Mason (52), Charles (65), Cureton (90)

Booked: Renee, Thomas

Our 'Man of the Match': Bobby Price

Attendance: 222

Current league position: 12th (with nine points)