Match report - Guernsey at Colston Avenue

It was a frustrating day at the office as we failed to break down a resolute Guernsey team, writes James Barrett-Sterling.

Team news

Omar Koroma came in for Ricky Korboa in the only change from Wednesday's win at Lewes.


It was a slightly tepid start to this one but one thing became very apparent - we were going to have to force the issue to get goals into the game.

Guernsey were happy to have 10 men behind the ball from early and we had a penalty shout waved away on 13 minutes, the ball seemingly striking a visiting arm rather then the other way round.

Christie Pattisson then got into a through ball on 17 minutes but he didn't catch his shot properly and Callum Stanton got down to easily smother it.

We almost broke the deadlock on 25 minutes after Frank Tobin did prevent a forward pass with his hand just outside his area. Up stepped Jordan Cheadle, but his powerful free-kick cannoned back off Stanton's left-hand post.

Then a corner delivery by Tommy Bradford was met by the unmarked Omar Koroma but he guided his header wide from six yards.

Our visitors didn't really create much but a speculative effort by Charlton Gauvin from 20 yards did force Billy Bishop to dive across and clutch the ball to his chest.

We were denied again in added time as Pattisson managed to get free of Harry Tobin on the right, but his cross-shot was pushed out by Stanton and rolled just behind the incoming Bobby Price.

HALF-TIME: 0 - 0

We continued to press from the restart but no amount of corners or crosses into their box led to a goal, the Guernsey defenders throwing themselves at everything.

Tommy Bradford managed to find some space down the left channel and his low fizzed ball across the six yard box was just cleared in front of the lurking Koroma.

Cheadle then had two potshots from distance that were deflected off target and even Michael Aziaya tried his luck, but the defensive midfielder's effort lacked power and Stanton fell on it easily.

Then a golden chance - Bradford was foiled down the left but the stray clearance went straight to the supporting Cheadle. He looked up and whipped in a first-time cross that found an unmarked Ola Sogbanmu, but his diving header from six yards flew over the bar.

Stanton was called into action again on 81 minutes - he punched an inswinging corner out but only as far as Cheadle whom took a touch, swiveled and crashed a half volley back on target. The visiting keeper sprang however and finger-tipped the ball over his crossbar.

Stanton was booked for time-wasting, and many of the Guernsey players were going down with cramp, but we still couldn't make the breakthrough - although we very nearly did in added time.

Sub Raheem Sterling-Parker won a corner which Cheadle curled in towards the near post. Paris Hamilton-Downes tried to flick the ball goalwards and, as it ricocheted around between red and white shirts, Koroma knocked the ball on target from three yards. Stanton instinctively put his arms up to block and successfully nudged the ball onto the bar before it was cleared.

Match highlights and post-interviews will be available via

Next up

We visit Faversham Town on Saturday 31st March before South Park come to us on Monday 2nd April.

Carshalton Athletic: Bishop; Price, Morath-Gibbs, Hamilton-Downes (c), Cheadle; Bradford, Aziaya, Adeniyi; Pattisson (Sterling-Parker - 85), Sogbanmu, Koroma

Unused subs: Oshilaja, Healy, Dudley, Korboa

Guernsey: Stanton, Gaell (c), H Tobin, Le Prevost, F Tobin, K Mahon, L Mahon, Zico-Black, Dyer, Skillen (Marsh - 71), Gauvin

Unused subs: Kelly, La Lacheur, Felbabel

Booked: Skillen, Zico-Black, Stanton

Our 'Man of the Match': Jordan Cheadle

Attendance: 405

Current league position: 3rd with 81 points (Lewes sit 1st with 86)