Match report - Lewes away at The Dripping Pan

A spirited away performance saw us beat league leaders Lewes to complete another league double and open up the title race, writes James Barrett-Sterling.

Team news

Two changes from the game against South Park as Peter Adeniyi and Ola Sogbanmu came in for Danny Dudley and Omar Koroma.


The only goal of the game came within three minutes of the start as Christie Pattisson won us an early corner.

Jordan Cheadle's delivery caused mayhem inside the Lewes six yard box and, as the ball pinged around and was threatened to be cleared, Kalvin Morath-Gibbs slid in to make sure it finally crossed the line.

It was a fantastic start and, considering both sides had left their most potent strikers on the bench, perhaps a bit surprising a goal arrived so early.

We made all the early running as Lewes became frustrated and picked up a couple of bookings for late fouls, although Charlie Coppola's pace was a cause for concern down their right, keeping Ricky Korboa, Jordan Cheadle and Paris Hamilton-Downes busy at times.

Once the game settled, we were happy to allow our hosts possession at the back, but we snapped into action any time the ball came over the halfway - Billy Bishop didn't really have much to do in all honesty.

And things almost got better on the stroke of half-time as Korboa cut in from the left and hit a venomous right-footed strike from 20 yards that sadly cannoned back off Chris Winterton's near post.

HALF-TIME: 0 - 1

We began the second-half on the front foot but couldn't extend our lead, while Sogbanmu received a bloody nose as a clearance smashed into his face at one point - a change of shirt and some treatment later, he went on to finish the match.

Lewes made two changes just after the hour mark as top scorer Billy Medlock and new signing Marcus Elliott entered the fray.

And they began to ask some more serious questions of our backline - Bishop did well to punch out a Leon Redwood cross, while Jonte Smith crashed a half-volley over from 20 yards.

Then a corner delivery hit Cheadle at the back post and, with Bishop stranded, the ball hit another man in white before Smith smashed it over the bar from about four yards.

We threw on Koroma with 15 minutes left and he played a neat one-two with Korboa to get the winger away down the left. Sogbanmu managed to wriggle free and guide the eventual cross on target but Winterton did well to palm the ball away at full stretch.

Adeniyi also won us a free kick just outside Lewes' box before added time - Cheadle stepped up and curled a wicked shot across goal but, again, Winterton was equal to the effort.

Hearts were in mouths during the third minute of added time however - full back Redwood, who'd increasingly become an attacking threat as the game wore on, squeezed in a cross from the byline and it was met by the unmarked Medlock, but he knocked the ball straight into the grateful arms of Bishop.

The game ended on a slight sour note as Bishop easily claimed an aimless free kick pumped into our box, only for Steve Brinkhurst to shoulder barge our man late as he returned to earth with the ball. This sparked a small melee between the players but, once the dust had settled, the home defender was seemingly fortunate to escape with only a booking.

Next up

We host Guernsey on Saturday 24th March before we travel to Faversham Town on Saturday 31st March.

Carshalton Athletic: Bishop; Price, Morath-Gibbs, Hamilton-Downes (c), Cheadle; Adeniyi, Aziaya, Bradford; Pattisson (Koroma - 76), Sogbanmu, Korboa (Sterling-Parker - 86)

Unused subs: Healy, Olishaja, Murphy-McVey

Goal: Morath-Gibbs (2)

Booked: Pattisson, Adeniyi

Lewes: Winterton, Brinkhurst, Redwood, Hammond (Conlon - 83), Chappell, Cotton, Bosma (Medlock - 62), Sow, Smith, Brotherton (Elliott - 65), Coppola

Unused subs: George, Lawson

Booked: Bosma, Brotherton, Brinkhurst

Attendance: 615

Current league position: 3rd with 80 points (Lewes 1st with 83)