Match report - win over Whyteleafe secures promotion

We rubber-stamped promotion to the Bostik Premier after a rollercoaster game against Whyteleafe, writes James Barrett-Sterling.

Jubilation: we were promoted this season with three games to go

Team news

Peter Adeniyi and Ola Sogbanmu replaced Danny Dudley and Raheem Sterling-Parker from the win at Herne Bay on Tuesday. Ex-Robins Bentley Graham and Antone Douglas lined up for our visitors.


The anticipation around Colston Avenue was palpable as we knew victory would guarantee our promotion, but Whyteleafe hadn't come to just make up the numbers.

They drew first blood on 23 minutes as experienced defender John Scarborough powerfully headed home a cross to open the scoring.

We were handed a lifeline on the half hour as Tommy Bradford was felled inside the visitors' area. Up stepped Omar Koroma, but Sheikh Ceesay guessed right and parried away his effort.

Our centre forward also banged a shot against the post as we pushed forward, although Sam Clayton went close to doubling Leafe's lead just before the break.

HALF-TIME: 0 - 1

A nervous tension spread throughout most of the 588 inside the ground during half-time, but that was calmed on 49 minutes.

Sogbanmu found Bradford inside their area and he banged a low shot almost through Ceesay to restore parity.

Bobby Price got down the right a few minutes later and his pullback found Koroma. He couldn't get a shot off, but he teed up Bradford who was twice denied by Ceesay from close range.

Then Christie Pattisson forged some space on the right before thrashing a shot which thumped back off the near post.

Pattisson's effort was sandwiched by two fine saves by Billy Bishop, from Will Hutton and Tom Pearson respectively, but we continued to be on the front foot.

So it was a surprise when a short corner was eventually knocked back into our area and an unmarked Scarborough put Leafe back in the lead.

Then it was shell-shock - a pass put Bola Nkori-Venceslas away and he cut across the recovering Kalvin Morath-Gibbs before smartly tucking in beyond the oncoming Bishop.

We hadn't been in this kind of losing position for months but the players, with Sterling-Parker and Ryan Healy being introduced, reacted with two goals in as many minutes.

We won several corners in quick succession and, by the fifth, Sogbanmu rose to guide Jordan Cheadle's delivery inside the far post and make it 2-3 on 75 minutes.

Rian O'Sullivan was then introduced and he made an immediate impact - his first touch was to control a Peter Adeniyi pass, then look up and pinpoint Sogbanmu who crashed a header in off the far post.

We were in the ascendancy now and, deep into added time, a Healy header was collected by Adeniyi whom played in Bradford and his left-footed strike bounced past Ceesay to send the fans into delirium.

This result also means we are still viable contenders for the league title and we play our game in hand over Lewes this coming Tuesday away against Ramsgate.

Match highlights and post-match interviews will be available via

Next up

We go to Ramsgate on Tuesday 17th April before heading to Sittingbourne on Saturday 21st April.

Carshalton Athletic: Bishop; Price (c) (O'Sullivan - 75), Olishaja, Morath-Gibbs, Cheadle; Adeniyi, Aziaya (Healy - 72), Sogbanmu; Bradford, Koroma (Sterling-Parker - 65), Pattisson

Unused subs: Burns, Dudley

Goals: Bradford (49 and 90), Sogbanmu (75 and 76)

Assists: Sogbanmu, Cheadle, O'Sullivan, Adeniyi

Booked: Bradford

Whyteleafe: Ceesay, Simms, Douglas, Graham, Scarborough, Simeone, Hutton (Heggarty - 87), Taylor, Nkori-Venceslas, Pearson (Ibrahim - 66), Clayton (c)

Unused subs: Clothier, Connaric

Goals: Scarborough (23 and 61), Nkori-Venceslas (63)

Booked: Taylor, Graham, Simms, Ibrahim

Our 'Man of the Match': Ola Sogbanmu

Attendance: 588

Current league position: 2nd (with 96 points - Lewes 1st with 98)

Carshalton Athletic FC. Colston Avenue, Carshalton SM5 2PW  Tel: 0208-642 2551