Match summary - East Thurrock United

The Robins fell to a second straight defeat as a late comeback wasn't enough to overcome East Thurrock United, writes James Barrett-Sterling.

Carshalton Athletic 1 - 2 East Thurrock United

Isthmian Premier League

Monday 12th August 2019

Attendance: 414 Our 'Man of the Match': Ernold Haxhiu Next up

Team news

Patrick Ohman returned to Colston Avenue as cover for the injured Billy Bishop, while Ernold Haxhiu and Oamr Koroma were given their first starts of the season.


United threatened first as, following a cleared corner, Mitch Gilbey put in a cross that Steve Sheehan met but the header dropped off target.

There was a high tempo to the game as both sides tried to get forward quickly - the Robins eventually tested Jack Giddens on 18 minutes as a loose ball dropped to Paris Hamilton-Downes and the keeper got down to smother his low effort.

But the visitors drew first blood just two minutes later - no-one picked up the run of Alex Clark and he ghosted onto a Ben Marlow cross to guide the ball past Ohman first-time from about six yards.

And Ohman was called into action a minute later as he got down to palm a firm Frank Merrifield effort round his near post.

Carshalton rallied and Ricky Korboa had to good opportunities on his weaker left-side - one fizzed narrowly wide of the near post and the other was straight at Giddens on 38 minutes.

But things got worse for Robins just before the break as Lewis Smith robbed the ball off Ola Sogbanmu, got Clark away down the left and his firm centre was crashed home by the incoming Gilbey.

HALF-TIME: 0 - 2

Jerry Amoo was introduced for Ryan Gondoh at the start of the second-half, but Korboa was involved in an early chance for the Robins.

He burst on to a long Hamilton-Downes pass in behind the United defence but Giddens was alert and he rushed out to bravely block at Korboa's feet.

Peter Adeniyi came on for Michael Kamara in a move that saw Hamilton-Downes move to centre back and Samuels, proving his versatility, filled in at left back.

But Ohman had to be aware of Merrifield's run on the hour as the striker looked to get on the end of a Jason Ring cross and the keeper managed to punch the ball to safety.

But United started to flag as the clock ticked on and Giddens proved his worth during the last 20 minutes, firstly by pushing a curled Samuels effort from 20 yards away at full stretch.

Carshalton kept on the front foot and eventually pierced the wall of blue on 83 minutes - Korboa was played in again, this time by Daniel Pappoe, but Giddens denied him again. Koroma couldn't force the loose ball in and it was cleared for a throw-in on the far side. Haxhiu eventually delivered a low cross and Koroma slid the ball in from close range for the club's first goal of the season.

Koroma stepped up to a 25 yard free kick just three minutes later, after Korboa had been felled, and he smashed a firm effort on target, but Giddens stood up and pushed it away.

And, in the last minute, Carshalton were left frustrated yet again as Adeniyi flicked on a high ball and Amoo played in a low cross that reached sub Christie Pattisson. He slammed an effort goalwards which was blocked by a combination of Sheehan and Giddens and his follow-up went over the crossbar.

Watch match highlights and post-match reaction coming soon via

Carshalton Athletic: Ohman; Price, Kamara (Adeniyi - 51), Pappoe, Hamilton-Downes (c); Haxhiu, Sogbanmu (Pattisson - 71 ), Samuels; Gondoh (Amoo - 46), Koroma, Korboa

Unused subs: Dudley, Onovwigun

Goal: Koroma (83)

Assist: Haxhiu

Booked: Pappoe

East Thurrock United: Giddens, Harris, Brown, Crook (Olukoga - 85), Gelashvilli, Sheehan, Gilbey (Ring - 51), Marlow, Merrifield, Smith (Thomas - 79 ), Clark

Unused sub: Scott

Goals: Clark (20), Gilbey (43)

Booked: Marlow