Match summary - Frome Town

Updated: Nov 14, 2019

Carshalton won this topsy-turvy cup tie by putting five past visiting Frome Town, writes James Barrett-Sterling.

Carshalton Athletic 5 – 3 Frome Town FA Trophy second qualifying round Tuesday 12th November 2019 Attendance: 197 Last five results: DWDLW Our ‘Man of the Match’: Kershaney Samuels

Next up:

Team news There were changes from the side that lost against Boston United – out went Luke Read, Bobby Price, Daniel Pappoe and Lenny Hein Jordan Cheadle, Peter Adeniyi and Tommy Bradford came back in, while Jerry Amoo made his first start since being injured in September.

Kick-off Both sides came into this match in good form – Carshalton hadn’t lost a home match in two months before their FA Cup clash with Boston United, while Frome Town hadn’t lost on the road since late August.

But the Robins got off to a flyer – Tommy Bradford had already seen a shot deflected narrowly wide when, on nine minutes, Jordan Cheadle's perfectly weighted through ball got Ricky Korboa beyond the visitors’ defence and he deftly flicked it low past the oncoming Rob Brown.

And the home side doubled their lead just seven minutes later as the referee played a good advantage – after Amoo was clattered to the floor by Marcus Mapstone – which allowed Haxhiu to unselfishly square the ball across Frome’s area for Christie Pattisson to tuck in his sixth of the season.

It was almost three on 19 minutes as Kershaney Samuels did well to dispossess an opponent and drive forward. He eventually slipped in Amoo but the returning forward saw his angled drive cannon off the far post.

Samuels himself then tested Brown with a 20 yard effort on his weaker foot as Carshalton continued to dominate. The best Frome mustered by way of an attack was a 30 minute free kick that Mapstone couldn’t connect with by the penalty spot.

But the visitors were made of stern stuff and suddenly an adventurous run by full back Mark Cooper saw him get into the home area. The Robins only half-cleared the ball and Jon Davies returned it with interest from 20 yards, his spectacular hit with the outside of his right boot dipping over Kleton Perntreou.

That stunned the home support, but their team rolled up their sleeves and restored the two-goal advantage just three minutes later. Korboa stung the hands of Brown with a firm effort and Bradford pounced, nipping the loose ball past the flailing keeper to tap home.

The game felt more like a contest now as Frome responded through Rex Mannings as the midfielder drove a powerful shot past Perntreou’s far post.

The returning Cheadle saw a clearance from 60 yards travel goalwards on 37 minutes as Brown scurried across his area, but the ball drifted off target at the last moment.

And the defender tried his luck again from closer range just before the break, but Brown got down to smother his first-time effort on a Bradford pass.

HALF-TIME: 3 – 1

Carshalton started on the front foot again after the break but Korboa plopped a header on a Bradford cross straight at Brown.

But, on 52 minutes, Pattisson got down the left and picked out Bradford whom rattled a firm shot from outside the box past Brown who seemed to see it late.

Town didn’t capitulate however – they pulled a goal back within two minutes as Matt Smith took aim from 25 yards and the ball snuck inside Perntreou’s right-hand post.

Carshalton responded as Brown pulled out a good save to deny Pattisson, while both sides made changes to introduce fresh legs around the hour.

But the visitors really put the cat among the Robins on 65 minutes – Davies got on a cleared ball, attacked the Carshalton box and saw his low shot squirm through the hands of Perntreou.

So, despite bossing 90% of the game up to this point, Carshalton found themselves with a slender lead against an opponent that smelled blood.

But thankfully the next goal went to the men in red – Korboa skipped down the left, along the byline and pulled the ball back to Pattisson whom took a touch before burying it in from eight yards.

The Robins had a good shout for a penalty on 74 minutes as Haxhiu was seemingly upended inside the Town box, but Pattisson and Bradford were spared an awkward conversation by an unimpressed referee.

Town kept plugging away – striker Kane Simpson burst through on 79 minutes and rounded Perntreou, but the ball clipped his heel and took him away from goal.

And, in added time, Simpson did have the ball in the net after guiding in a cross but the linesman’s flag went up in the build up.

Carshalton will now face Tooting and Mitcham United at home in the third qualifying round on November 23rd.

Catch match highlights and post-game reaction via coming soon.

Carshalton Athletic: Perntreou; Haxhiu, Dudley, Hamilton-Downes (c), Cheadle (Read – 69); Bradford, Adeniyi, Samuels; Amoo (Kamara – 62), Korboa (Koroma – 76), Pattisson Unused subs: Perez, Pappoe Goals: Korboa (9), Pattisson (16 and 70), Bradford (35 and 52) Assists: Cheadle, Haxhiu, Korboa (2), Pattisson

Frome Town: Brown, Cooper, Teale (c), Mapstone, Maidment (Hallett – 76), Peck (Lenihan – 58), Davies, Simpson, Mannings (Ellington – 84), Smith, Monks Unused subs: Locke, Greaves Goals: Davies (31 and 64), Smith (53) Booked: Cooper