Match summary - Harrow Borough

Updated: Sep 22, 2019

A battling performance eventually saw Carshalton into the next round of the FA Cup, writes James Barrett-Sterling.

Harrow Borough 0 - 1 Carshalton Athletic

FA Cup second qualifying round

Saturday 21st September 2019

Attendance: 157

Our last five results: WWWLW

Our 'Man of the Match': Kleton Perntreou

Next up:

Team news

There were three changes from last weekend as Christie Pattisson and Bobby Price came in for injured duo of Omar Koroma and Danny Dudley, while Ernold Haxhiu dropped to the bench for Peter Adeniyi. Jordan Cheadle was involved for the first time this season after recovering from an injury.


There was almost a goal in the first two minutes of this one – Shaun Preddie misjudged Daniel Pappoe’s long ball and Ricky Korboa got in, but his snapshot from 16 yards smacked the near post.

Both sides were looking to get forward quickly but it was the Robins that carved out the better chances, not least when Paris Hamilton-Downes headed an Adeniyi free kick against Borough’s crossbar – a linesman’s flag would’ve halted any celebration however.

And Korboa was at it again on 22 minutes as Price found Adeniyi and his neat pass found the forward galloping on, but again his shot from just inside the area cannoned away off a post.

But Carshalton did take the lead just three minutes later – Adeniyi played in Christie Pattisson whom beat the offside trap and hit a shot across goalkeeper Hafed Al-Oroubi that went in off the far post.

The home side were given a chance to test Kleton Perntreou shortly after the goal but Michael Bryan’s 20 yard free kick just whistled over the crossbar.

Carshalton forced a corner on 35 minutes and a Borough player inadvertently helped it on. Luke Read met the ball with a soft header that was on target but Al-Oroubi dived down to smother it inside the six yard box.

And the home keeper performed more heroics five minutes before the break – a Carshalton attack down the left ended with Jerry Amoo digging out a cross, Tommy Bradford snuck in from deep and planted a header back across Al-Oroubi. It looked for all the world a goal but the keeper shifted his movement and swiped the ball away with his right hand.

HALF-TIME: 0 - 1

The hosts made a change at half-time but Al-Oroubi was called into early action as he palmed away Price’s 18 yard effort and Korboa’s follow-up was disallowed for offside.

Then a big talking point – Anthony O’Connor and Pappoe contested a forward ball, the forward went down and the referee blew for a free kick, then he issued the puzzled defender a straight red card. Once the dust had settled, the Robins reshuffled with Cheadle coming on in place of Pattisson.

But, before the hosts could really start to dominate, Korboa had another good chance to get on the scoresheet as Kershaney Samuels played him through on the hour mark. The forward seemed to hesitate which allowed defenders to get back around him and the eventual shot flew wide of the target.

Borough made another change and the pendulum swung more in their favour – Bryan curled an angled left-footed effort just wide of the far post and Hamilton-Downes bravely block two close range efforts by O’Connor within the space of five seconds.

O’Connor, Borough’s current top goalscorer with five, threatened again on 78 minutes when he appeared to get clean through on Carshalton’s goal. Perntreou came out to meet him but the recovering Price did enough to make the forward cut inside and the goalkeeper blocked the shot with an outstretched leg.

The home side were piling on the pressure as the Robins seemed happy to try and protect their lead now, which they did well although Perntreou was called into one more serious piece of action on 86 minutes.

Bryan got on the end of a George Moore cross and got a shot off but the keeper got down well to push it away.

The final whistle was greeted with cheers and relief by the travelling Robins fans and the draw for the third qualifying round of the FA Cup will be made on Monday 23rd September.

Catch match highlights and post-game reaction via

Carshalton Athletic: Perntreou; Price, Read, Pappoe, Hamilton-Downes (c); Bradford (Sogbanmu - 87), Adeniyi, Samuels; Amoo (Haxhiu - 83), Korboa, Pattisson (Cheadle - 52)

Unused subs: Kamara, Phillips

Goal: Pattisson (25) Assist: Adeniyi

Booked: Samuels, Korboa, Cheadle

Sent off: Pappoe

Harrow Borough: Al-Oroubi, Andrew, Warner-Eley, Preddie (c), Ireland, Maloney (Muhemba – 78), Keita (Moss – 46), Otudoko (Moore – 62), O'Connor, Bryan, Cole

Unused subs: Fenton, Pearce

Booked: Warner-Eley, Preddie