Match summary vs Potters Bar Town 09/03/19

Updated: Mar 18, 2019

Carshalton ground out a 1-0 victory in tough conditions at the Pakex stadium, writes James Barrett-Sterling.

Potters Bar Town 0 - 1 Carshalton Athletic

Bostik Premier League

Saturday 9th March 2019

Attendance: 181

Last five results: WDWWW

Our 'Man of the Match': Kalvin Morath-Gibbs

Team news

Tommy Bradford didn't travel with the squad as he nursed a leg injury meaning Mike Dixon came back in to the attack. There was also a place for Taofiq Olomowewe in defence, while Christie Pattisson was fit enough to be named among the substitutes.


The game began in blustery conditions and the opening 45 minutes really didn't see much incident as both sides cancelled each other out, but  there was a harsh early caution for Ricky Korboa whom was seemingly felled just outside Town's area, but the referee booked him for simulation.

Defences were on top - Danny Dudley slid in to deny Josh Hutchinson as he tried to burst through on goal, while Sean Grace halted Harry Ottaway's progress after the striker played a neat one-two with Dixon and tried to skip past the centre back.

The first shot of the game came between those tackles on 21 minutes as Ben Ward-Cochrane took aim from 18 yards but his weak effort bobbled through to Patrick Ohman.

A chance for Town to put pressure on Carshalton's goal arrived in the shape of a first corner on 31 minutes, but Sean Bonnett-Johnson slipped when striking the ball and it barely made the near post.

The closest the Robins came to threatening the hosts' goal came via a corner of their own on 43 minutes - keeper Niko Tzanev fumbled the delivery but recovered just in time to deny Dudley who was looking to pounce.

HALF-TIME: 0 - 0

Carshalton won an early free kick in the second-half and Jacob Mendy decided against a shot on goal to play Bobby Price in down the right, but his low centre was blocked away at the near post.

Dernell Wynter thrashed a pot shot that was always rising over the crossbar on 51 minutes but the deadlock was finally broken just two minutes later.

Korboa was felled inside the Town box and a penalty was awarded - Mendy was the latest to chance his arm from 12 yards but Tzanev pushed the shot away. Thankfully Dixon was alert and he tucked the rebound home for his eighth of the season.

Going behind spurred town into their best spell of the game; Daniel Pappoe and Olomowewe both put big clearing headers on corner deliveries and Hutchinson broke clear on 66 minutes only for Ohman to stay big and save at the near post.

Pattisson came on for Korboa and he did well to pick out Price on 75 minutes who played a quick low cross in from deep. It found its way through to Dixon but, from seven yards out, he merely guided the ball into Tzanev.

Dudley was at it again three minutes later as he stretched out to deny Wynter a run on our goal, but the Rbins should've made it two late on as Dixon got behind the home defence but his angled shot went just the wrong side of the far post.

Carshalton are now 10 games unbeaten ahead of a trip to Dorking Wanderers and this result completed a fourth 'double' of the season.

Next up

The Robins head to league leaders Dorking Wanderers on Saturday 16th March (kick-off 3pm) before hosting Brightlingsea Regent on Saturday 23rd March (kick-off 3pm).

Carshalton Athletic: Ohman; Price, Olomowewe, Dudley, Hamilton-Downes (c); Morath-Gibbs, Pappoe, Ottaway; Korboa (Pattisson - 65), Dixon (Read - 90), Mendy

Unused subs: Cheadle, Adeniyi, Bishop

Goal: Dixon (54)

Booked: Korboa, Pappoe

Potters Bar Town: Tzanev, Nolan, Lomas, Nicholas, O'Leary, Grace (c), Wynter, Bonnett-Johnson, Hutchinson, Sach, Ward-Cochrane (Al-Hussain - 54)

Unused subs: Laurencin, Morgan-Cummings, Cole, Powell