Match summary vs Tonbridge Angels 22/04/19

Updated: Apr 29, 2019

Carshalton's play-off fate will be decided on the final day as they lost for only the second time in 17 league games, writes James Barrett-Sterling.

Tonbridge Angels 1 - 0 Carshalton Athletic

Bostik Premier League

Monday 22nd April 2019

Attendance: 861

Last five results: LWWWL

Our 'Man of the Match': Paris Hamilton-Downes

Team news

There were several changes for this one - Tommy Bradford, Omar Koroma and Peter Adeniyi dropped to the bench for Kalvin Morath-Gibbs, Christie Pattisson and the returning Ola Sogbanmu. Danny Dudley replaced Daniel Pappoe in defence.


It was a blisteringly hot day at Longmead as the hosts began on the front foot and Billy Bishop only half-cleared a ninth minute corner. The ball dropped to Sonny Mills but the big centre back saw his close range effort blocked away.

Carshalton's first real sortie on the Angels goal came 10 minutes later as Harry Ottaway had a shot blocked 20 yards from goal. the ball fell for Pattisson who made some space past James Folkes but Sogbanmu was crowded out on his square ball by the penalty spot.

Another dead ball situation had Bishop on his toes shortly afterwards - the goalkeeper punched away a free kick but Angels kept the ball alive and Joe Turner shot wide from about 25 yards.

Ricky Korboa stole a march on the last defender a minute later as he chased down a long Bobby Price ball, but he clashed with keeper Jon Henly just inside the box. The referee gave neither a penalty nor corner kick much to the top scorer's frustration.

But neither keeper had a shot to save as the half came to a close, although Carshalton came mightily close to scoring on 43 minutes after winning a corner.

The deep delivery was nodded across goal by Paris Hamilton-Downes and Morath-Gibbs was steaming in but, under pressure, he diverted a header off target from about three yards.

HALF-TIME: 0 - 0

The relentless heat continued during the second-half, and both sides made changes before the hour mark, and the first glimpse of goal came as Hamilton-Downes got Pattisson away and his low centre was met by Ottaway, only for his strike to be blocked by Arthur Lee.

Dudley made a great tackle to deny Tom Derry a chance to break through on goal on 62 minutes and Carshalton broke as Price found Korboa. He turned and headed over halfway but he blazed an effort over the bar from about 20 yards.

Angels came forward on 66 minutes as Jack Parter played a neat one-two with Turner to get into the Robins' box. The full back then pulled the ball back to his top scorer but Luke Read had seen the danger and made a great block tackle as Turner went to let fly.

Adeniyi and Koroma were introduced with 18 minutes left to go but the decisive moment of the game came on 78 minutes.

Angels won a soft corner which Turner drilled in flat to the back post, Mills rose highest to nod the ball back across and Craig Stone managed to turn a header just inside the top near corner.

The only two other chances of note after the goal came as Derry chased a long ball over the top but, under pressure from Korboa, he slashed a shot wide of the near post.

Then, in added time, Tommy Bradford kept a deep free kick alive on the near side and his return cross found Ottaway. The ball wouldn't come down quick enough however and, under pressure, he put a half volley way over the crossbar.

Check out match highlights and post-game reaction via

Next up

The Robins' final league game of the season is at home game against Bishop's Stortford on Saturday 27th April (kick-off 3pm).

Carshalton Athletic: Bishop; Price, Dudley, Read, Mendy; Sogbanmu (Adeniyi - 72), Morath-Gibbs (Bradford - 46), Hamilton-Downes (c); Korboa, Ottaway, Pattisson (Koroma - 72)

Unused subs: Ohman, Cheadle Booked: Price

Tonbridge Angels: Henly; Folkes (Smith - 83), Miles (c), Lee, Parter; Ramadan (Small - 58), Theobalds, Stone, Turner; Derry (Beere - 89), McKenzie

Unused subs: Read, Ibrahim

Goal: Stone (78)

Booked: Lee, Folkes