Three in 15 minutes sink the Scholar's FA Cup dreams

Updated: Jan 10, 2021

Written by: Chris Brenta

After eight goals in their last two games, there was certainly an air of expectation around Colston Avenue ahead of their first qualifying round game last night. Manager Peter Adeniyi added fresh legs to the side that got their league campaign off to the perfect start only two days prior;Clunis, Sogbanmu, and Proctor all joining the fray. Proctor making his first start for the club following his recent loan move from AFC Wimbledon.

In comparison, Faversham Town were much more rested, the postponement of their opening game of the season meant it had been nine days since they beat Eastbourne on penalties in their preliminary tie. This didn’t stop them from making changes of their own though, with Grant Brown and Emmanuel Oluwasemo dropping to the bench and Aaron Ibe and Luis Dos Santos coming in.

Despite their shorter rest period, it was Carshalton who started the match the brighter. In the 7th minute, Nyrun Clunis broke free down the right and sent a deep cross toward the back post, where David Fisher was ready and waiting to head the ball over the line and get the Robins off to a dream start.

Five minutes later, it was Fisher that turned provider; a deep cross of his own this time from the left had keeper Luke Watkins scrambling and missing the ball completely. The ball then bounced off the back of Clunis and fell perfectly for the oncoming Tommy Bradford to slot home his second of the campaign.

The third came from another cross, this time Cheadle with the freekick on the left who sent the ball towards the back post. It was chested down by Read, and then expertly finished into the bottom right corner to make it 3-0 with barely 15 minutes gone.

Faversham did well for the rest of the half, keeping the Carshalton attack at bay and even managing some opportunities of their own. A couple of close freekicks from Dos Santos and Ogboe, and a decent volley from striker Harry Harding - who was arguably the Scholars best player on the night. The half ended on a bit of a sour note however, as a coming together between both sides resulted in Bradford and Ibe picking up bookings before the break.

At half time, the Scholars made one change, replacing Lewis Chambers with Grant Brown. The Robins didn’t change their line-up nor their attacking prowess. Less than four minutes into the second half, the duo of Clunis and Fisher struck again. Aided by a perfect pass from Sogbanmu, Clunis outpaced Denny to get his low, driven cross into Fisher’s feet, who stroked it home for his second and Carshalton’s fourth.

At 62 minutes, Fisher saved the best until last to round off his hattrick. Samuels’ pass to Bradford cut the Faversham midfield in two, and he fed Clunis to yet again be the provider after he spotted Fisher standing in acres of space. Fisher cut inside, leaving the keeper sprawled on the floor before hammering the ball home to complete a man-of-the-match performance, and driving the final nail into Faversham’s FA Cup coffin.

The Robins could have had more too, with a couple of good opportunities going close and a penalty claim as Bradford was seemingly bundled over by Donvieve Jones inside the box, but despite protests and what seemed to be a clear foul, the referee waved it away. That wasn’t the only dubious decision regarding Bradford and the referee either.

In the 80th minute, Bradford appeared to be pushed off the ball by Jones in an incident almost identical to the Penalty claim. This time though, not only did Bradford not get the decision, but much to his disbelief (and that of nearly everyone else in the ground), referee Luis Nunes showed him a second yellow card and sent him off. It is understood that Carshalton will appeal this decision.

The Robins return to league action this weekend with their first away trip of the season when they head to Margate, both teams will be looking to maintain their winning start to the campaign.